Mr. Willy is the founder and principal of Willy, Nanayakkara & Associates Attorneys and Counselors at Law. Over the last 35 years, Mr. Willy has built the Houston-based firm from a single attorney practice to a bustling five-attorney firm with a presence in Atlanta, Georgia, Toronto, Canada and Mumbai, India.
Activities, Honors and Community Involvement
- Member, American Immigration Lawyers Association.
- Chair of Houston Mayor’s International Trade and Development Council for South Asia, 2013-2014
- Vice-Chair, Christus Health System of the Gulf Coast Region; 2013-2014;
- Attendee, White House Briefing to Asian American and Pacific Islander Community Leaders, 2012;
- Board Member, Asian American Justice Center, 2011 – 2017;
- Board Member, The Indus Entrepreneurs, Houston Chapter, 2011 – 2012;
- Advisory Board, DAYA, 2009 – 2012;
- Mayor’s Appointee, Houston Zoo Board, 2006 – 2012;
- Vice-Chair, United Way Asian Pacific Islander Community Campaign, 2002-2003;
- Attendee, Conference, Hosted by Vice-President Gore in honor of Prime Minister Vajpayee’s Visit to the United States, 2000;
- Attendee, President’s Announcement of Appointees to the Asian-American Advisory Commission, White House Rose Garden, 2000;
- Attendee, White House Briefing on President Clinton’s Trip to India, 2000;
- Chairman, South Asian Chamber of Commerce, 1998;
- Participant, Round Table Conference on Asian Issues with President Clinton and Vice-President Gore, 1997;
- Attendee, White House Briefing on Administration Policies affecting Asians, 1997;
- Participant, White House Consultation on Immigration Reform Legislation, 1996;
- Attendee, White House Briefings on Hillary Rodham Clinton’s Visits to India, Bangladesh, Sri Lanka, and Nepal, 1995;
- Attendee, White House Briefing and Consultation on U.S. Policy in South Asia, 1994;
- Delegate, Delegation of South Asian Leaders to the White House, 1994;
- Appointee, Trade and Commerce Representative in the United States (by the Provincial Government of the Western Cape of South Africa), 1994;
- Fellow, Texas Bar Foundation, 1993;
- Member, State Bar Journal Committee, 1993;
- Represented Texas Governor in the United Arab Emirates and Pakistan to promote Trade with Texas, 1993;
- Editor-in-Chief, National Asian Pacific American Bar Association Journal, 1992;
- Co-Chairman, International Business Opportunities Task Force at the Texas Department of Commerce, 1991-1993;
- President, Asian American Bar Association, 1991-1992;
- Delegate, American Lawyer Delegation to Japan, 1988.
- McMaster University, Canada (B.A., Political Science and Philosophy, double honors, Summa Cum Laude, 1979);
- South Texas College of Law (Doctor of Jurisprudence 1985).
Professional Awards and Affiliations
- United States Supreme Court – Admitted to Practice;
- United States District Court for the Southern District of Texas – Admitted to Practice;
- United States Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit – Admitted to Practice;
- United States Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit – Admitted to Practice;
- United States Court of Appeals for the Eleventh Circuit – Admitted to Practice;
- State Bar of Texas – Admitted to Practice;
- Certified Mediator, A. A. White Dispute Resolution Institute, 1992.