Technical Overview of Form I-601A, Provisional Unlawful Presence Waiver:

The Form I-601A, Provisional Unlawful Presence Waiver, is a specific tool within the U.S. immigration system, outlined under the Immigration and Nationality Act (INA):

  1. Purpose: The I-601A waiver addresses the grounds of inadmissibility for those who have accrued “unlawful presence” in the U.S. This means that they’ve stayed in the country without lawful status or beyond the period authorized by their visa.
  2. Immediate Relatives: This waiver is primarily available to immediate relatives of U.S. citizens (spouses, children, or parents). The purpose is to reduce the time families spend apart while the non-citizen relative goes through the consular process outside the U.S.
  3. Extreme Hardship Requirement: To qualify, an applicant must demonstrate that refusal of their admission would result in “extreme hardship” to a U.S. citizen spouse or parent. Like the standard I-601 waiver, the term isn’t explicitly defined in the INA but typically encompasses hardships beyond traditional family separation.
  4. Provisional Nature: The “provisional” in the waiver indicates preliminary approval, provided before the applicant leaves the U.S. for their consular interview. If granted, it offers some assurance, though not a guarantee, that the applicant can return to the U.S. after the interview.
  5. Exclusivity of Unlawful Presence: It’s crucial to note that the I-601A waiver only addresses the inadmissibility ground of unlawful presence. If other grounds of inadmissibility apply, they must be addressed separately, often through the standard I-601 waiver.
  6. Relevant Documentation: Strong evidence is critical with all waivers. This can include affidavits from family members, proof of relationship, financial and emotional interdependence evidence, medical records indicating hardship, and other relevant documentation.

Given the nuanced and complex nature of the I-601A waiver, individuals seeking to utilize this path often benefit from the guidance of experienced immigration attorneys who can help assemble a robust and compelling case.

woman speaking on phone

Schedule A Confidential Initial Consultation

If you would like help regarding business immigration, family-based immigration, and immigration-related litigation, or if you have questions about any other immigration-related issue, we encourage you to get in touch. To speak with one of our highly-experienced immigration attorneys in confidence, please call 888-529-5990 or request an appointment online today.